Social Development Minister Edna Molewa has rejected an attempt by Sassa Chief Executive Officer, Fezile Makiwane, to resign following a probe into alleged irregular procurement practices, a spokesperson said on Sunday.
“The basis for the rejection is that according to his employment contract, the CEO is required to serve a notice of three months,” said Zanele Mngadi.
Makiwane therefore remained an employee of the SA Social Security Agency, after attempting to resign on January 29.
He went on special leave last July following allegations that he had contravened the rules of the Public Finance Management Act in relation to irregular procurement practices involving 11 transactions, amounting to R10m, said Mngadi.
The department’s chief financial officer, Coceko Pakase, had been acting head of the agency during Makiwane’s time on leave.
“The matter will be finalised in due course. In order to preserve the integrity of the disciplinary process and to protect the interests of both parties, we will not be making any more comments at this stage,” she said.
Earlier last year it was alleged in a Sunday Times report that Makiwane was implicated in the transfer of R4.3m from the agency to fund parties for the Jacob Zuma Education Trust and to thank the community for their support when he was facing corruption charges.
Mngadi said that was incorrect.
“These allegations are not part of the alleged transgressions for which Makiwane was placed on leave,” she said.
Source: www.news24.com, 20100222
Did you find this information helpful? If you did, consider donating.