WHAT TO WATCH NEXT WEEK
Monday July 11
- Africa’s newest nation, South Sudan, awakes to its first full business day. Even before its birth, the war-ravaged but oil-rich nation was flirting with ‘failed state’ status, with potentially disastrous consequences for the rest of east Africa.
- Packaging business MPact, a spin-off of South Africa’s Mondi group, lists on the Johannesburg stock exchange.
Tuesday July 12
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel kicks off three-country tour of Africa, with a visit to Kenya. She will also go to oil-producers Angola and Nigeria.
- South Africa Manufacturing Production for May. Growth in factory output slowed sharply to 0.4 percent year-on-year in volume terms in April. (1100 GMT)
Wednesday July 13
- Ghana CPI. Ghana’s inflation rate has been dropping in recent months due to slower rises in food prices. (0900 GMT)
Thursday July 14
- French Prime Minister Francois Filon is expected in Ivory Coast, although few details of his trip have been released.
- South Africa gold production data for May. (0500 GMT)
Friday July 15
- Reuters releases poll for following week’s South African Monetary Policy Committee decision.
- Econet Wireless, Zimbabwe’s biggest mobile phone operator, holds AGM.
Source: Reuters Africa newsletter
Did you find this information helpful? If you did, consider donating.